The Central Bureau of Statistics reports that Israel's population reached nearly 7.4 million at the end of 2008.
Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics reports that the country's population totals 7.37 million at the end of 2008, of whom 75.5% (5.57 million) are Jewish, and 20.2% (1.49 million) are Arabs.
Israel's population grew by 1.8% - 129,500 - during 2008. This growth rate figure has remained stable since 2003. During 2008 157,000 babies were born, while 38,000 people died. 92% of the population increase was due to natural growth with the remaining 8% coming from immigration. This latter figure is down from 12% last year due to a 25% decrease in immigration during 2008 when only 13,500 new immigrants arrived compared with 18,000 in 2007.
Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes-online.com - on December 30, 2008
© Copyright of Globes Publisher Itonut (1983) Ltd. 2008