Hebrew daily "Ma'ariv" reports that, in a new effort to repair relations with Turkey, Israel is offering $100,000 to the families each of the nine dead on the Mavi Marmara during the Gaza flotilla incident in May 2010. In exchange, Turkey will rescind its demand for an apology by Israel over the incident, and accept a statement that Israel deeply regrets the deaths.
The offer was made informally. Turkey has not yet responded to the offer.
The new offer is double Israel's original offer of $50,000 to the families of each of the dead.
Earlier this week, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Moshe Yaalon told Reshet Bet Radio, "Turkey's demand for an apology over the Marmara incident, for compensation for the families of the dead, and for the lifting of the embargo against Gaza is a nerve." He said that the Gaza flotilla was a deliberate act of provocation and that the Turkish government bore responsibility for it.
Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes-online.com - on August 11, 2011
© Copyright of Globes Publisher Itonut (1983) Ltd. 2011